Monday, February 23, 2009

Badass or just...bad

Ok there are three movies that are floating around in my mind. They could either go in one direction or the other. Badass or bad.

Example number 1:

Ghostbusters 3!

That's right. Another Ghostbusters is in the works!

Why this would be bad:

I always say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. My gut is telling me that they would cast new, younger Ghostbusters. Yes, there are some funny MFers out there who would be perfect for this type of franchise but really? No Murray? They would probably bring him in as a mentor. I don't want to see him as a mentor, I want to see him fighting ghosts and making fun of Aykroyd!! And the sequel wasn't spectacular by any means, even though I love it so and I can quote it almost as good as the original. And Aykroyd and Ramis are not writing it. I know that Aykroyd is involved somehow, but not writing. Ummm....yeah...

Why this would be badass:

The writers from The Office are working on the script which will add a fresh look at things. And they have the potential to stay true to the dry deliveries necessary in dealing with an over-the-top storyline. And if their new Ghostbusters include guys like Seth Rogen, Jason Segel, Bill Hader, and Paul Rudd, I will be one happy happy panda.

Example number 2:

Inglourious Basterds!

Why this would be bad:

Tartantino let me down with Death Proof, his half of Grindhouse. It was incredibly too talky and this coming from a girl who loves Tartantino dialogue. Way too much of it was just not interesting and I couldn't give a shit by the end of it, I just wanted it to end. So is this another movie where dialogue will get in the way? Or will it just be violence, violence, violence, for the sake of violence with no point?

Why this would be badass:

Tartantino, even though Death Proof was a miss, is a master at blending violence for the sake of violence with quirky, awesomefantastic dialogue. It could go in the direction of Kill Bill with vengance on its mind and never let up until the end. And it could be very inappropriately funny, something that we all have come to expect and ask for in Tartantino. And plus, I always like Brad Pitt in these kind of roles. He does his best work in movies like Fight Club, 12 Monkeys, and Snatch where the movie isn't about his pretty pretty pretty face. The pressure is off and you can see it in his performances. And finally, they are killing Nazis!! Who won't cheer for that??

Example number 3:

WATCHMEN!!!

Why this would be bad:

Please please please don't be bad!!! One of Time Magazines top 100 novels of all time! The novel that inspired mine and DFG's Halloween costumes this past year! The epic epic deliciousness of it all! Ok sorry. Why this would be bad. Zack Snyder, the director, directed 300, a total disappointment for, what I hear, is a great graphic novel. All of the slow-motion-into-real-time-motion action sequences got so freakin' old in that movie. And all of the naked men going into battle with their bodies so chiseled and muscular that it was border line hilarious. Ok, it WAS hilarious! I laughed. Out loud. At this movie. And the acting was paaaaaainful. It was a hot mess. But the effects were very pretty. I also heard somewhere that they changed the ending. No no no no no no no.

Why this would be badass:

It's Watchmen. I heard that they do stay very true to the novel, except for the ending of course. And it is perfectly cast with fantastic actors. The trailer looks gorgeous. I believe this might bring out Zack Snyder's best work because he knows there is a lot of pressure on him to not screw this up. This isn't 300. It's Watchmen. Really, I've decided it's going to be badass because it has to be. Just haaaaaas to be!


Alright, let's hope for 3 badasses. Wait and see.

2 comments:

Dan said...

1) will be bad...even if it's rogen et al, humor has changed too much since 1984 to even keep in touch with the original Ghostbusters. Not to mention so much of that movie isn't the writing, it's the delivery of those genius comedians.
2) will be....weird. Tarantino kills Nazis? I mean, I for one am all for killing Nazis...I hate those guys.
3) mmmm...hope hope hope. But in trying to shoot the moon, it may be a miss. Hopefully it will stay away from being an 'action' movie and shoot for being a poignant take on humanity? aaaaaaaaa....

CAP said...

Hmm..well played, Seigel. Well played.