Wednesday, April 9, 2008

You Got It (The Right Stuff)

Ok people. Settle down. Here it is. The big announcement.


  • NKOTB is back!



  • They're not really new. Nor are they kids. But no matter. They are actually back together.

    I was obsessed with them. OBSESSED. I first loved Jordan. But then the rat tail was really getting to me so I switched to Joey. Joey was my man. I swear I would sit there and take his age and subtract my age and think to myself, "Well, when I'm 20, he will be 28. That's not bad!" This was when I was 9 and thought that 20 was a perfect age for me to meet the love of my life and get married. ha ha indeed. May work for some people, and props to them truly, but not for me.

    And merchandise? I had everything New Kids. The dolls (casual wear and concert wear complete with stage!), sleeping bag, pillows, trading cards, fake autographed glossys, key chain, buttons, oh my. My friends and I would bring in our newest New Kid item and oooh and ahhh over it. I remember Julie's favorite was Jon, Gina's was Donny, Michelle's was Jordan. She became upset when I abandoned Team Jordan for Team Joey but I believe she too eventually saw the error of her ways and joined with me.

    They were also my first concert. And second. Yes, I saw them twice! Age 8 and age 9. My poor sweater bound uncle held me on his shoulders the whole concert while I was swaying to the music, screaming, and acting embarrassingly ridiculous. He was sweating buckets and he had back and shoulder pain for days that he didn't tell me about until I was much older and he could give me a hard time about it. At that concert, he was the age I am now. He had to take on the "father role" at 21 when my parents split up and he didn't have to do that. He saw countless dance recitals, choir concerts, plays. He even dressed up as Big Bird for my 2nd birthday in the middle of a heat wave in November. And of course, went through the hell of seeing New Kids surrounded by thousands of screaming pre-adolescents with me on his shoulders...twice. He deserves a medal. A giant medal adorned with jewels and gold. Something very tacky and loud that gets my statement of love and admiration across correctly.

    So anyway, back to NKOTB, at the age of 9 1/2, I was over them. Basically, it wasn't popular to like them anymore so they were dropped.

    Then I went through a long phase of listening to movie soundtracks.

    1 comment:

    Danny Gavigan said...

    their reunion tour is gonna be like popping in labyrinth, laughing at david bowie and the muppets, singing along to the tunes for a few minutes, and then feeling your smile slowly deteriorate as you realize the movies still got an hour and 45 minutes to go...